A new packaging law is in force in Germany as of 1 January 2019. This has consequences for business-to-consumer (B2C) packaging in particular, for which mandatory registration and notification now applies. The aim of this law is to improve the way in which the recycling of this packaging is arranged.
Which packaging is affected by this law?
The new packaging law applies to business-to-consumer packaging. It concerns all packaging, for both flowers and plants, that is intended to reach the consumer. For example, it includes:
- Sleeves or wrapping foil
- Cardboard packaging
- Plastic plant pots that the consumer removes immediately after purchase (as is the case with garden plants)
Which packaging is not affected by this law?
If a pot is intended to be used for a plant for the entire duration of its life, this does not fall under B2C packaging and is not affected by the new legislation. The same applies to transport packaging, such as plant trays. This packaging is viewed as business-to-business (B2B) packaging.
Who is responsible for declaration?
Responsibility for compliance with this legislation lies with the owner of the product plus packaging when it crosses the German border.
|Situation||Responsible for declaration|
|Supply for sale through VRM||Supplier|
|Direct sale to German customer:|
|1. Is the supplier the owner when crossing the border?||Supplier|
|2. Is the customer the owner when crossing the border? (purchased directly from the nursery)||Customer|
|Supplier sells to exporting trading company||Trading company|
Are you responsible for declaration?
- Register in the Zentralen Stelle Verpackungsregister (Central Packaging Register)
- Close a licensing agreement with a recycling company for the quantity of sales packaging that you intend to bring into the German market. You will be charged for the total weight that you put into circulation. Approved recycling companies
Calculate your costs as a result of the packaging law quickly and easily (to be opened in Google Chrome):
Cheap collective recycling contract
Our collective agreements with Landbell, one of the biggest recyclers in Germany, offer significant benefits compared to the usual rates and conditions in the market. As of 25 March 2019, you can sign a recycling contract, quickly and easily, with Landbell.
These are the six benefits for you:
- Easy and quick digital registration with Landbell for a recycling contract (in Dutch).
- Two-year contract with a contribution of €75 per year. The contribution is €50 from the third year onwards.
- Declare the volume of packaging that is brought onto the German market just once annually.
- Two settling dates with Landbell: halfway through the year or at the end of the calendar year (after providing an annual statement based on the true packaging volume).
- No audit certificate necessary for the annual statement.
- More competitive rates and conditions compared to the standard prices in the (recycling) market.
In order to take advantage of this collective offer, please register directly with Landbell: