This law applies to any business person who puts products with packaging into circulation in Germany.
Which packaging is affected by this Act?
The Packaging law applies to 'Business to Consumer' packaging. This concerns all packaging, for both flowers and plants, that is intended to reach the consumer. This includes, for example:
- Sleeves or wrapping foil
- Cardboard packaging
- Plastic plant pots that are removed by the consumer immediately after purchase (as with garden plants)
From 1 January 2022, ‘Business to Business’ (B2B) transport packaging will also be part of this legislation. This means that anyone who puts products into circulation in Germany that are in ‘B2B’ transport packaging (trays, boxes, buckets, etc.) must record the following:
- Material type
- Return or recycling after use
Mandatory registration as of 1 July 2022 due to expansion of German packaging legislation
On 1 July 2022, the Packaging Act VerpackG will be further expanded in Germany. As of this date, anyone who brings products into the German market in sales packaging and/or transport packaging will be required to register with the LUCID Packaging Register. For sales packaging, a contract with a recycling company is also required. In addition, as of 1 July, market places (including Veiling Rhein-Maas) are obliged to check whether suppliers comply with VerpackG. To avoid fines or exclusion from sales, ensure that the necessary actions are taken in good time. Read the important information below and what this expansion of the law means for you.
Who is responsible for compliance with the act?
If you deliver products from outside Germany to German customers, it is important for compliance with this legislation who owns the product including the packaging at the time of crossing the German border:
|Situation||Responsible for declaration|
|Supply for sale through VRM||Supplier|
|Direct sale to German customer:|
|1. Is the supplier the owner when crossing the border?||Supplier|
|2. Is the customer the owner when crossing the border? (purchased directly from the nursery)||Customer|
|Supplier sells to exporting trading company||Trading company|
- Register in the Zentrale Stelle Verpackungsregister (Central Packaging Register). Zentrale Stelle Verpackungsregiste
- Close a licensing agreement with a recycling company for the quantity of sales packaging that you intend to bring into the German market. You will be charged for the total weight that you put into circulation. Approved recycling companies
Calculate your costs as a result of the packaging law quickly and easily (to be opened in Google Chrome): Landbell calculation tool
Advantageous collective recycling contract
A list of six benefits for you:
- Simple and fast digital registration with Landbell for a recycling contract (in Dutch).
- Contract for two years with a contribution of € 75 per year. From the third year the contribution is € 50. The € 75.00 for the first two years includes a credit of € 25.00 for packaging material.
- Reporting the volume of packaging you bring onto the German market once a year.
- Two settlement moments with Landbell:
I. After conclusion of the contract you will receive an invoice for the lump sum for the first two years.
II. After the end of the calendar year (after issuing an annual statement based on the actual volume of packaging) you will receive the final settlement.
- Sharper rates and conditions compared to the standard prices in the (recycling) market.
In order to make use of this collective offer, you register directly with Landbell:
This message is informative in nature. You yourself are, and remain, at all times responsible for proper compliance with legislation and regulations in this regard.