This law applies to any business person who puts products with packaging into circulation in Germany.
Which packaging is affected by this Act?
The Packaging law applies to 'Business to Consumer' packaging. This concerns all packaging, for both flowers and plants, that is intended to reach the consumer. This includes, for example:
- Sleeves or wrapping foil
- Cardboard packaging
- Plastic plant pots that are removed by the consumer immediately after purchase (as with garden plants)
From 1 January 2022, ‘Business to Business’ (B2B) transport packaging will also be part of this legislation. This means that anyone who puts products into circulation in Germany that are in ‘B2B’ transport packaging (trays, boxes, buckets, etc.) must record the following:
- Material type
- Return or recycling after use
Who is responsible for compliance with the act?
If you deliver products from outside Germany to German customers, it is important for compliance with this legislation who owns the product including the packaging at the time of crossing the German border:
|Situation||Responsible for declaration|
|Supply for sale through VRM||Supplier|
|Direct sale to German customer:|
|1. Is the supplier the owner when crossing the border?||Supplier|
|2. Is the customer the owner when crossing the border? (purchased directly from the nursery)||Customer|
|Supplier sells to exporting trading company||Trading company|
- Register in the Zentrale Stelle Verpackungsregister (Central Packaging Register). Zentrale Stelle Verpackungsregiste
- Close a licensing agreement with a recycling company for the quantity of sales packaging that you intend to bring into the German market. You will be charged for the total weight that you put into circulation. Approved recycling companies
Calculate your costs as a result of the packaging law quickly and easily (to be opened in Google Chrome): Landbell calculation tool
Advantageous collective recycling contract
Our collective agreements with Landbell, one of the largest recyclers in Germany, offer significant benefits compared to the usual market rates and conditions. As of 2019, you can quickly and easily conclude a recycling contract with Landbell.
A list of six benefits for you:
- Easy and quick digital registration with Landbell for a recycling contract (in Dutch).
- Two-year contract with a contribution of €75 per year. The contribution is €50 from the third year onwards.
- Declare the volume of packaging that is brought onto the German market just once annually.
- Two settlement dates with Landbell: halfway through the year, or at the end of the calendar year (after providing an annual statement based on the actual packaging volume).
- No audit certificate necessary for the annual statement.
- More competitive rates and conditions compared to the standard prices in the (recycling) market.
In order to take advantage of this collective offer, please register directly with Landbell:
This message is informative in nature. You yourself are, and remain, at all times responsible for proper compliance with legislation and regulations in this regard.