Outcome of life cycle analysis
Multi-use plant trays score better for sustainability and have a smaller impact on the environment than single-use plant trays. This was the conclusion of an independent study commissioned by us.
The LCA clarifies how well the different trays score on environmental topics like climate change and water consumption. The study also indicated areas with the greatest potential for improvement for both single-use and multi-use plant trays.
Most important results
- Multi-use trays score better in terms of environmental impact than single-use recyclable trays.
- In the production of single-use recyclable trays, the plastic and the waste phase have the greatest impact.
- By reducing the weight of each tray and optimising the recycling, we reduce the environmental impact.
- The transport and cleaning process (for Floratino) in particular contribute to the environmental impact of multi-use trays.
Result of life cycle analysis for single- and multi-use plant trays (Normpack 306 and Floratino 746) based on the different impact categories.
Most efficient and sustainable use of packaging
The research inspired us to work with chain partners and stakeholders to make our use of packaging as efficient and sustainable as possible. We have carried out various actions:
1. Market research into multi-use plant packaging: what are the reasons for choosing multi-use plant packaging? Are there problems? And how can we promote the use of multi-use plant packaging?
2. Research into reducing material use for Normpack: has the implementation of a different design (the bridge) in the Normpack 200 and 400 series led to a reduction in material while retaining functionality?
The research shows that material reduction is possible for the 400 series. It is now up to the Normpack manufacturers and/or suppliers to actually implement this improvement.
3. Research into recycling of single-use trays in Germany and the Netherlands: how many single-use trays are recycled at the end of the chain? And how can we raise that percentage?
Encouraging choice for sustainable packaging
The ultimate choice of packaging lies naturally with the users, suppliers and customers (end customers). Together with our chain partners and stakeholders, we want to make the use of packaging as efficient and sustainable as possible.
We share the information about the environmental performance of the plant trays to encourage our growers and customers to choose the right packaging for their products from a sustainability aspect.