SDG7: Affordable and clean energy
General objective: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
Sustainability contributes to a future-proof marketplace and organization. That is why the floriculture industry is working towards climate-neutral glasshouse horticulture by 2040. This means that the heat used:
- Is produced in a sustainable or CO2-neutral manner
- Comes primarily from numerous geothermal sources, supplemented by sustainable residual heat from the industry and heat from locally generated biomass or green gas
What is Royal FloraHolland doing to achieve this goal?
We are continuously working to increase the sustainability of our energy policy - for example, by buying sustainably generated electricity and by installing solar panels on a large scale. For our locations Eelde, Aalsmeer and Rijnburg, we received the SDE subsidy (Stimulation of Sustainable Energy Production). This allows us to generate a total of 11 MW, entirely for our own use. We aim for CO2-neutral energy consumption by 2025 and therefore adhere to the SDG 7, Affordable and Clean Energy, and the SDG 13, Climate Action.
We are working on the following themes:
- Energy security
- Renewable energy
- Energy saving and energy efficiency
In order to achieve this ambition:
- We are drawing up an energy transition plan
- A new (green) energy contract that takes effect in 2020 was signed
- Large solar panel installations will be placed on the roofs of our locations in Aalsmeer, Naaldwijk, Eelde and Rijnsburg
- We are researching the possibilities of connecting to geothermal energy and residual heat in Aalsmeer and Naaldwijk
What does this give us?
- By increasing the sustainability of our total energy consumption , we will reduce our current footprint by approximately 90%. This allows our marketplace to trade products sustainably.
- With this, Royal FloraHolland also reduces the risk of remaining dependent on increasingly expensive and polluting fossil fuels
- The government is going to tax CO2 emissions more heavily, which means it is important for us to find sustainable alternatives from a cost perspective as well